We know that PCBA processing will not have a 100% pass rate. At this time, we need to repair the problematic board. Today, I will analyze the repair process for everyone.
1. The Process Purpose of PCBA Repair and Rework
Solder joint defects such as open circuits, bridges, and virtual solders generated in reflow soldering and wave soldering processes need to be manually trimmed with necessary tools (such as BGA rework station, X-ray, high-power microscope) to remove various solder joints defects, so as to obtain qualified PCBA solder joints.
Repair the missing components.
Replace the sticking position and damaged components.
There are also some components that need to be replaced after the single board and the whole machine are debugged.
2.The Solder Joints That Need to Be Repaired
How to determine the solder joints that need to be repaired?
(1) First, locate the electronic product, determine what solder joints need to be repaired, and determine which level of product the electronic product belongs to. Level 3 is the highest requirement. If the product belongs to Level 3, it must be tested in accordance with the highest standard, because Level 3 products are based on reliability as the main goal; if the product belongs to Level 1, the lowest level standard is sufficient.
(2) It is necessary to clarify the definition of “good solder joints”. A good SMT solder joint refers to a solder joint that can maintain electrical performance and mechanical strength in the use environment, method and lifespan considered in the design. Therefore, as long as this condition is met, it is not necessary to rework.
(3) Measure with IPCA610E standard. The soldering iron does not need to be repaired if the conditions of acceptable level 1 and 2 are met.
(4) Use IPC-A610E standard for inspection, defects 1, 2, and 3 must be repaired.
(5) Test with IPCA610E standard. Warning level 1 and 2 must be repaired.
XPCB Limited is a premium PCB & PCBA manufacturer based in China.
We specialize in multilayer flexible circuits, rigid-flex PCB, HDI PCB, and Rogers PCB.
Quick-turn PCB prototyping is our specialty. Demanding project is our advantage.
© 2023 - XPCB Limited All Right Reserve